Sunday, March 22, 2009

Henriquez interview in G&M


Kelly Deck interviews Gregory Henriquez on Woodwards for Globe and Mail in 'Woodward's tests architects passion'.

Some interesting quotes:
  • I'm a fourth-generation architect. The sort of work that I'm passionate about is work around social justice. It's really what I call cultural sustainability. It's the buzzword nowadays: Everyone talks about sustainable buildings - the green stuff. But the best thing that you can do in terms of sustainability is design a building that society values and will be around in a hundred years.
  • I don't see myself as a West Coast designer, I see myself as a downtown Vancouver designer. I believe in density, in urbanity; I think that the diversity of our community here is something that's beautiful and it should really be embraced as a model for other parts of the world.

    The future is in hybrid projects - where market, rental and affordable housing get merged into the normal fabric of our city. I think that if we embrace the philosophy, in one generation we could end the homelessness and affordability problem. We're such a wealthy country, the fact that we can't deal with this important issue just seems silly.

But do read the interview for yourself. It is here.